Heating and cooling bills can make up over half of your total utility expenses, according to Department of Energy reports. That makes using central air conditioning part of the largest energy expense for a typical U.S. home.
With warmer weather just around the corner, we've put together a list of easy, no-cost ways to improve air conditioning efficiency in your home to help you get the most from your system while controlling your expenses.
- Clean around outdoor condenser unit. Your outdoor unit will work most efficiently if it is clean and clear of debris.
- Vacuum indoor vents and keep vents unblocked. You can vacuum dust and any debris away from indoor supply vents to help maintain steady airflow from your system.
- Increase your thermostat. Typically, adjusting temperatures 5 – 8 degrees (down in winter, up in summer) can help save money and energy. With a programmable thermostat, you can automatically adjust the temperature for different times of the day or during times you are going to be away from home for several hours.
- Clear your drain line. There is a drain by the indoor cooling coil, typically mounted above the furnace in the basement. If you flush one cup of chlorine bleach down your air conditioning drain and rinse it with a gallon of water, you can keep your drain clear through the summer. Keeping your drain line clear can save your basement from taking on water if the drain becomes blocked.
- Insulate any exposed ductwork. Make sure ductwork that runs through an unconditioned space is properly sealed so it doesn’t leak any of your conditioned air. Be sure a professional also checks the ductwork during your next scheduled maintenance visit. It’s also recommended that your ductwork be insulated using the proper thickness duct insulating material.
- Schedule regular maintenance and inspection. The most important thing you can do to make your HVAC system more efficient is by scheduling regular inspections and maintenance. Airtegrity Comfort Solutions can help you improve the efficiency of the entire system. Our experts can spot and repair problems that may be making your system less efficient.
For inquiries on our expert HVAC maintenance services, give us a call at
(210) 446-0105 or click the button below. 👇